Sunday 22 June 2008

Playtime

Thursday did not bring any sales, however this meant I could play all day without feeling guilty! Terrible thing at my age (63), you'd think I'd be past feeling guilty if I wasn't working.
BUT I wanted to come to grips with the mirror challenge, and I know my previous piece of art (no sniggering, please) was not within the challenge parameters. I had had this vision of Klimt and wanted to do a representation of his art, bearing in mind he always did lovely faces and hands but surrounded them with almost cubist blocks of colour and the mirror could represent the faces. I remembered seeing an article in Workshopontheweb by Penny Purchase and looked it out; plus the article from Fiber&Stitch by Jackie Cardy on making a hidden treasure. Those were my starting points and with great trepidation I set too, having never done free motion stitching before. I coloured some cotton (mop up technique again, I just love it!) and covered it with blue organza and some batting to the back. I stamped several curl shapes onto the back of blue velvet and cut them out, laying them onto the cotton, but underneath the organza; then several lozenge shapes which were added the same way. I put blue metallic thread into the machine and set it up for FMS and with heart in hand started to machine. It was so easy I wondered why I'd been so nervous of trying this technique. I cut out little pieces of bondaweb and placed them over the velvet, having cut away the organza and fused foil to the centres of the lozenges. Then I drew the ironwork round the mirror gap and FMS'd all round the edges in gold. For the backing I fused pieces of torn kitchen role onto a piece of backing board then covered it with clingfilm and fused it into place. I stuck everything together with double-sided tape (not quite that easy but it gives you the idea). The hinges are pieces of card painted to match in with the overall scheme. Then the photo for the web...Wow, was it hard to get right, all I could see was me in the mirrors or Peggy trying to get on my lap so I hope the photo looks OK.

I just signed onto my email and there were two messages from Sue, last Friday she had set us a task of putting colours to each word we have come up with describing ourselves. I had agonised over the word 'Challenge' and wanted to convey a lovely sunny day that lifts the heart and makes me ready to accept any challenge, but all I could come up with was 'Turquoise'. Then Friday night when I was dozing in bed the light suddenly went on and a word popped into my head...SAPPHIRE! I thought it conveyed everything I wanted in the word, it comes in blues, pinks and golds and has the brilliance to suggest sunshine. Boy, was I a happy teddy.

However, today Sue has set us another task, asking us to create 10 pages for our journals that represent the colours for each word. All I could think of was UGGHH! Am I in trouble... Sapphire...how am I going to get that one right? So over the next two weeks I have to produce pages for Green, Yellow, Gold, Sapphire, Lilac, Sunset, Beige, Orange, Red, and Maroon - the beige to maroon being my negative colours.
I'm off now to read up on this week's lessons on different ways of painting pages, I'll need all the help I can get from it.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

This is absolutely great! I've got a lump in my throat..thank you for mentioning me and your mirror is delightful.I'm so glad I played a little part in its creation. Well done.