Sunday 8 June 2008

Last lesson - sadly






All went well on Thursday with a sale from the table and an order for a dress waistcoat. Also one of my customers from the previous week rang up wanting another waistcoat, so that's next week's stall money in the bag!






Friday saw the departure of Bert and the arrival of Gary the carpenter who came to fix the roof over my back door. He had to leave it open so he could put the door in and he made a good job of fixing the new plexiglass. He will be back on Monday to add new guttering and drainpipe (hopefully).






Yesterday was rest day, sort of, because as I lay in the sun I seemed to get all sorts of ideas about my last lesson with Sue Bleiweiss. We were asked to make another vase with curly sides and my mother had expressed a wish for one but with a theme. What theme! I lay there agonising and suddenly it came to me (as it does) that she liked flowers and gardens and blue. Part of the course was playing with angelina fibres and fantasy film so I came up with the idea of fantasy flowers on the side of the vase and a picture of some of the flowers in my garden. I chose some violas in blue with golden hearts, brought it into an adobe package and played around with it, tiling and stretching the picture which I then printed out for both sides. I fused them onto vilene and covered the whole piece with fantasy film in green. Then I cut out and satin stitched all the pieces of the vase, butting up the bottoms and stitching them.




Then I pressed and stitched the fantasy flowers with felt leaves and stitched them to the sides. THEN I had to stitch up the sides - what a painful exercise that was, and it left me with bloody holes in my fingers. I'll have to get a thimble, if only I could use one! Still, I was able to incorporate all the exercises in Lesson 5 (except 1) into one item and upload the photos for Sue to see.

I did do the last exercise which was turning brown paper into a faux leather look, but I couldn't think what to turn it into...so I signed up for another course with Sue called Creative Mixed Media Journaling Techniques. I'm off to sit in the sun now, feeling just a little satisfied with life.

No comments: