Tuesday 5 August 2008

holidays are hard work

Last week was not what I had in mind. I took Peggy to the vets and found she was having a phantom pregnancy which meant no toys, and a change of environment to snap her out of it. Fortunately I was going on holiday and she was booked into Kennels, so this was ideal.

Bert arrived on the Friday and Saturday was booked out to a wedding. My son's wife's sister was getting married to the plumber who had updated all the plumbing in my house, and we had been invited, which was nice. However, Granny died at the weekend before and the funeral was on the Thursday before the wedding which meant everyone was not quite their best. The wedding went off amazingly well with the groom getting his name wrong and causing laughter in the aisles. Sunday was a day of rest before heading off to Plymouth for a week's holiday.

Unfortunately, Bert was ill and the weather was bad, rain..rain..rain and the bed in the hotel was uncomfortable. We walked miles to find a place to rest, Ed did his best to make the week more pleasurable, and I went fish hunting for something to do. It was very interesting to find that Plymouth has fish as a symbol and you can find them in all sorts of forms throughout Plymouth; from fish mobiles in the Drake Circus to tiny silver fish buried in the walkway up to the Aquarium. I will be making an art journal with all the pictures I have taken soon, when I have recovered from the holiday (!)

This week Sue has set us some more word challenges and we get to play with stamps and paint, mostly stamps made by hand with found objects like rubber bands. We have to take two more of our words and make journal pages, then a page on a specific list (10 words describing a perfect day, a good marriage, a happy childhood). I have chosen Structure and Hesitant and have ideas for the Structure page - I'll post it as soon as I work my way through the course work of lesson 9/10.

My physio is not best pleased with my progress, and had advised me not to go to the market for the next two weeks, but to concentrate on my exercises. It was odd how a week away from the wii fit had made me slip back, not by much but enough to make a difference to my scores. After a week on an uncomfortable bed with little sleep, I ached all over and found it hard to get going again. Maybe a little gardening will help, my passion flower has taken over the trellis and is now marching down the garden and weeds have attached themselves between the gravel and slate (I don't know how they do that) and need pulling up.

On a more positive note, I also had two lovely surprises - one was winning two packets of mistyfuse for the work I am doing for my course - the other was winning a book of choice for my blue mirror work for the Fibre and Stitch ezine. I chose an art journalling book recommended by Sue and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

No comments: