Tuesday 6 March 2012

A New Year,

A new set of problems! Starting with my mobile crashing and losing all my pictures and some contacts; then my car needed jump starting and a new battery; then after having a mammogram I was called to Exeter for more scans and a lesion was found. They attempted to do a biopsy but I'm allergic to local anaesthetics and went into full anaphalactic shock; then my dog, Digger ruptured a tendon in his leg and needed an operation (He's recovering nicely); then when my vision didn't clear after the induced shock I saw an optician who says the lens in my left eye is hazy and will need a replacement operation sometime in the future (when I'm blind!); then I started a series of physiotherapy at the hospital for my back which is proving extremely painful. During all this I organised my mother's 90th birthday in Cheshire. So up to now, it has been one thing after another and I'm exhausted!

However, I have been filling in the time left with making stock for the forthcoming holidays and have come up with some different items, namely dolls' sun bonnets - cute - and fragrance hearts - exquisite!


They can all be fragranced with either lavender or honeysuckle - my new fragrance - I found that some people don't like lavender and would like to buy the gift if it has another fragrance, so I've added another table to my stall solely for this new venture.  I am also slowly catching up with my U3A Devon History group and have taken on a committee membership. I got landed with the minutes and actions listing which was what I did as a Project Administrator in another life. I organised a speaker for our February meeting, a lovely guy who kept us laughing and amused for 45 minutes on a talk about Mrs Beeton's book of Household management. I can now skin a hare, should I ever want to.

The market has slowly improved, salewise, over the last two weeks but before that it was touch and go if I made my stall rent and car parking fees but we have to turn up or the market will fold and we will all be out of a job. It surprised me that our takings were so low over the Christmas period and none of us made enough to cover living expenses. Hopefully the warmer weather will bring the tourists back and we'll have enough to salt away for next winter. It's all a learning curve and has some harsh lessons.

No comments: