Sunday 7 June 2009

This week's challenges

This small picture is printed on cork and has a lady holding a bunch of lavender in her hand. I found it whilst looking for something to answer the Mixed Media Monday challenge - Lace - and as I'm doing journals at the moment, I incorporated it into a collage for the cover. I layered it onto stone coloured cotton suede then brown linen, added the music and pieces of lace, then the flap was edged with gathered two-toned organza ribbon and the same lace. My daughter had sent me the crocheted flowers and they made a lovely addition to the flap when beaded into place.




By contrast, the next journal was made in black velvet. I had been on a course where we made the yellow fabric (see Februrary) and I cut it into an oblong and 3 squares and couched them down, then added the stuffed silk edging. I stuffed this knitted silk edging with string, but it is not quite right for the ties, it is too stiff, but OK for edging the journal. The silver you can see on the fabric is actually a crisp packet that has been heat blasted.

Both journals have hand dyed and stamped insides and one signature of 10 papers. Well, that's my weekend play and now I have to tidy up my workshop for the week ahead, when I hope to go through some interesting techniques.

Watch this space...





8 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow these are wonderful.
Lovely work. Fantastic.

My Creative House said...

Your journal cover with lace is wonderful, like that you used different fabric.

~*~Patty S said...

Lovely work, your lace journal cover has so much beautiful texture!

Nan said...

Both very nice...I am intrigued by your printing on cork..what a great idea!

Kris Dickinson said...

Beautiful work!

Lynn Stevens said...

Great layering on your book cover, very Lovely

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Olivia! Diane

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Olivia! Diane