Tuesday 10 March 2009

Another Challenge

I'm really getting into these challenges now, and enjoying every minute. I am so thankful to the people who take the time to organise and host these websites because they open up life for the housebound and give meaning to their days.



This challenge is from Mixed Media Monday and was called 'The Written Word' but I somehow immediately thought of Omah Khayyam's 'Moving finger' poem, so I researched it and this is what the lightbulb said to me.




I tried several new techniques and paints (to me) with this; I made the letters from freezer paper and ironed them onto 140lb watercolour paper. I then brushed alcohol inks over the whole page with a overlay of a writing stamp and when I removed the letters after outlining them, I saw that the inks had filtered under the paper causing a lovely capilliary action. I added the poem strips and toned everything down with a dry brush of yellow ochre then added a frayed square of extravorganza with a picture of a pointing figure printed on it and a pen. I just glued the organza across the top so that the finger moved when flapped. Lastly I added a couple of trims and buttons to finish it off.

I also made a lovely pink journal, it had to be one colour but several hues and 3 techniques which were felting, colouring the white cotton fabric with Aquarell sticks and stamping with a stamp made from foam shapes from the children's corner of our local Ryan's shop. Even the pencil is pink!
Now I'm off for some lunch and more play...






9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Olivia, this is an amazing piece of art! I am so please that you came to play on Mixed Media Monday - I hope we see lots more of your lovely art. Diane

Sandy said...

Wow wow wow wow truly amazing.
Wonderful work.

Francoise MELZANI LAURENTI said...

really this is amazing !
love this

RubyMay said...

Wow...this is gorgeous Olivia!
I agree about the challenges...I love them as well x

Pretty Widow said...

Love your "fate" piece. the poem strips in the larger letters is a cool idea!
Diane

Beth said...

Your work is lovely. The colors are wonderful.

Tangled Stitch said...

The journal is beautiful. Love the swirls!

laurel said...

Great pieces you've created.

Digitalgran said...

I love it too Olive!