Tuesday 15 July 2008

A troublesome week

Firstly, a few updates. Tuesday last week was a bit hectic hence the missed bits of news. That morning I had a dentist appointment and I have a lovely dentist called Emmanuel but I call him Speedy. I go in and out of his surgery like a dose of salts and don't even have time to feel deprived of my expectations. I showed him my damaged front tooth where I had hit myself in the face with a metal bar that had caught in the door. He straightened it across the bottom and added some sort of coating and my tooth looked exactly how it did before the accident. It took him all of 5 minutes and "that will be £45.00 please".


In the evening I took Peggy to a local pre-school just round the corner from me where they were chipping dogs for free. She is now the proud owner of a number and was very brave, not a peap out of her, which is more than can be said of some of the bigger wooses.


This weekend I started on a new project with some trepidation. I have come up with about 10 words describing my mother and want to put them into a journal with a garden theme for a Christmas present for her. I got in touch with my sister and brother-in-law to make sure the words were reasonably accurate and to get a male perspective. I had no idea of how to start the front cover and went through all my magazines and articles to find an appropriate picture/ technique. What I arrived at did surprise me, but was near enough to what I hoped for; it is made up of a layer of painted lutrador over white and green garden fleece and grungeboard letters that have been splodged. I free motion stitched clematis flowers and leaves with metallic thread then heated the whole from the back to give a scrunched look. Then I attached it to a background of painted cotton.
Now I have to wait until next week when Sue's next lesson is how to make up a small journal with signatures (pages), then I'll know what size to work with for the inside of my project pages. I bought a sketch book to put all my ideas in - another idea that Sue encourages so that we can track our progress. Once you have given the present away you have no record of what or how you did it. Life is so busy at the moment!

No comments: