Sunday 20 July 2008

'Fess Up...

It's time to come clean, unfortunately, since I wasn't going to let on...but I lost my door keys! I had a horrible day last Sunday, my PC crashed and no matter what I did, it would not get back together again and my whole life revolves round my PC! So I piled a load of things for Peggy into a bag and harnessed her up and we drove down to the park for a walk and to calm down. During that walk she did what dogs do in tall grass and I had to clean up after her with the bag which meant I had a tub and two water bottles, two toys, a mobile and my keys to carry bagless. I tucked my mobile down my waistband along with my keys thinking if they slipped they would end up in my knickers but somehow the keys missed them and slipped away unnoticed. When I finally got back to the car and they were gone, I had no chance of finding them so I walked Peggy back to the house, then asked the lad next door to reach in through the dog flap to undo the key in the lock of the back door which he did, bless him. Then I got my spare keys and hurried back to the park hoping my car was still there - it was...huge relief! Later that evening Ed called me and sorted out my PC - he is such a wonderful son - and my life was back with me. Then on the Wednesday evening a young girl knocked on my door and handed my keys to me. The people who found them in the park had seen the little Tesco tabs attached and taken them to the local Tesco who had traced me from their database and sent round the girl with the keys. That is so kind, and I do thank everyone who took the trouble to do this for me.



There were no sales on Thursday at the market, so again I am lost in my course work (which I rather do anyway). I had to dye some natural fibres like cotton, silk, wool etc. with various types of dye and although I had done the Jacquard dying (see left) I was waiting for my starter pack to begin the Pricion dying - much more involved. I had to fill a bucket with 5 gallons of water and add a quarter of a cup of soda ash, but finding out what these measurements were in fl.oz did my head in! I found a plastic garden bucket that held 3 gallons and tried to work out what two thirds of a quarter of a cup was...Duh!! Bert rang me and said (like men do) "why don't you use 2.5 gallons of water and halve the cup measurement?" Well, don't you feel foolish when it is so simple! So in went the pieces of fabric to steep for 15 minutes whilst I measured out the dye into pots and added the required water...again cup measurements were used, but my secret weapon was my bread baking book that had a conversion table in it. There I was with a mask round my face, measuring tiny piles of dust into cups of water and getting dye everywhere, because my sink was filled with a bucket of steeping fabric...what a carry-on.

Well, to cut a long shory short the dye met the fabric and set overnight, then was washed and dryed in the dryer and ironed the next day...job done! The dye gave some interesting striations and patches and took differently to the cotton, cotton/polyester and calico I had used.


In between all this I have been working away at my mother's journal. I made up the cover and added a flower button and cord for tying. Then bought some lovely paper for the inside - just 15 sheets left of this particular green look - then I started putting the words to the pages. I have almost completed 1 signature (3 pages folded in half) with 3 of the words - Independent, Supportive and Stubborn (see pictures). I'll show you Stubborn when it is complete and the last two pages hold a quick garden crossword and a piece of painted, stamped tyvek.




Independent is a series of sayings about being independent and a picture of Rose Solitaire. I printed off 3 copies of this rose on paper and 1 on acetate which covers the sayings page. The right side has two of the roses cut into strips for weaving and a picture of the finished rose. Something to keep Mum interested and not dwelling on the words too much - this is supposed to be fun!



Next comes Supportive, the left hand page has a picture of a trellis in my garden that Tom made for me, supporting a Passion flower, Clematis and a couple of other climbers. I covered it with a piece of green netting I found on one of my walks. The right hand page has a definition of Support and a glued on ribbon showing flowers climbing up the page.



The middle of the signature has been used to give Mum chance to add her own journalling because I know she intends to change part of her garden and I thought it would be nice to record the change. She could also add bits of interest, labels and maps of where she bought the replacements, the labels from the pots etc. in the plastic pocket on the right.




I have started several other pages, but this is the first of 5 signatures that is almost ready to be sewn into the journal. I just need one of my nephews to draw a picture for me then in it goes. Watch this space...

No comments: