Saturday 13 December 2008

Almost Christmas

Bert arrived as expected and as I had cancelled my Thursday market I was able to concentrate on enjoying his visit. Bert met Digger for the first time and Digger fell in LOVE...but Bert was not impressed, and hated being licked all the time and he soon got his marching orders.


We went shopping and lazed around watched TV. We went to the local Atlantic Village to get a suitcase for him and I found a wonderful outfit for my son's ball - quite by chance! On the Tuesday we took the dogs to the kennels for their mini holiday and drove up to Macclesfield leaving behind the sun and heading into terrible weather - torrential rain, sleet and snow - making it hard to see where the lines were on the roads. I dropped Bert off at his sister's house and drove on to my Mother's house where I delivered my Xmas presents and had a great two days with her. We shopped and ate out and did girly things. Then I drove back to sunny Devon for an overnight stop before travelling to Salisbury and Gareth's home. He met me outside the station and took me home and made me a sandwich to last me until we had our meal at the do. Maureen arrived later on with Michelle and Charmion and we caught up with the news whilst waiting for the minibus to arrive.


The ball was held in the barracks in a huge marquee with about 32 tables and a large dance floor. The meal was traditional Christmas and very tasty but towards the end the lack of heating made it very hard to sit still and everyone began shivering, so the tables were re-organised to warmer places. I left about 10 minutes to 12 with Fiona and dived under the dovet as soon as I could to warm up and sleep. Several hours later I was woken by the others banging on the front door to be let in - they had lost the door key!



The next day everywhere was covered in frost and the cars had to be de-iced before being used, then Gareth, Charmion and I headed into Salisbury for a trip round the shops and a visit to the cathedral. It had been updated with a spectacular water feature that entranced Gareth and he soon set a trend and had everyone taking pictures of reflections in the water.






The afternoon was taken up with a hospital visit for Fiona, who had landed there in the night with bad stomach ache, Gareth also drove me past Stonehenge and got a lovely picture of the evening sun behind the stones and then home for a chinese meal and Strictly Come Dancing on the TV.



I left on Sunday on the train and got home about 13:30, slowly put my things away and made a cup of tea and sat on the settee watching TV until I came round and was able to do a bit more.


Thursday brought a few more waistcoat orders and a heavy cold which I am now in the throes of shrugging off. I have reached the coughing stage but lemsip is doing it's upmost to combat the bug and I feel fine in myself. Tomorrow I'll start the waistcoats...promise!

No comments: