Monday 26 May 2008

Mixed media

Hi, as I was saying before I got hung up, here's a bit about the course I have been taking. I signed up for an online course by Sue Bleiweiss on Mixed Media to learn about manipulating different fibres and layering them and producing lots of lovely items. We started slowly which was good for me, and made 3 books/journal covers using tissue paper, cut up old dress patterns and torn papers and made the following:
I spray painted this one but didn't like the blandness so I added some novelty yarn and some flowers and a bee to jazz it up a bit.






The second book cover was done using cut up dress patterns on felt. Again I sprayed it with walnut ink but it came out a not nice green, so I covered it with black chiffon. We also learned how to put signatures (pages) into the middle of the journal.











The last book was loose leaf and would be used for keeping samples of what we have done over the 5 weeks. Mine was a scattering of padded stars, novelty threads and glitter mesh under tan chiffon. I stitched round in a wavy line and cut outside line to make the wavy edge. I keep this with the lessons and add photos of the finished article and samples of how I made it to go with the instructions I keep in the file.

Week 2 was better as I had only 2 waistcoats to make and had time to concentrate. I got started on the box with drawers that we were asked to complete. We had to make the fabric using felt and all sorts of items scattered under chiffon. I used a burgundy shot with royal chiffon which gave a different look depending on which was you held the box to the light. This box took all day to make (two days in all) but was well worth it.


Week 3 saw us struggle with a concertina book and a vase. I following Sue's instructions, which are so easy, and made the little 4"x4" book.


This is made with felt, mulberry bark and silver foil. The embellishments are silk rod and cocoons.


However the vase was another thing altogether. I had to dye silk hankies, embellish them and put them over a mold (I used an upside down tall pasta jar covered with clingfilm). Then we used a stiffener to make the vase rigid and stand up on it's own. Mine was OK but several of the other students had problems getting the stiffener to work or get the vase off the mold. Lots of fun for us all.

I am now waiting to see what we have in store for this week and will post as soon as I get it completed. However this week could be a bit fraught, as my Mother and Brother-in-law are staying for 3 days, my eldest son is arriving Wednesday and someone else on Friday.

















No comments: